Reentry : Reentry Resources

What resources are available in Ohio?

CIVICC - Ohio's online database about the civil impact of criminal convictions.

Criminal convictions in Ohio have many consequences. Court-imposed sentences, such as fines and incarceration, are the direct consequences familiar to many people.

Not so familiar are the indirect, or "collateral," side-effects of a criminal conviction. These are laws that impose extra burdens and restrictions on people with criminal records, often long after the court-imposed sentence is over. For someone with a criminal record, the laws can restrict access to jobs, housing, education, and other aspects of daily life that most people take for granted. They function as legal barriers, excluding people with criminal records from full participation in their communities.

In legal terms, these side-effects are called collateral consequences of conviction, or sometimes collateral sanctions.

The CIVICC website provides an online database and search tools for anyone who wants to learn more about the collateral consequences of conviction in Ohio.

Call 211 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling, and more.  2-1-1 is available in about 80% of Ohio's counties.  You can learn more about your local 2-1-1 here.

Apply for public benefits and register to vote at an Ohio Benefit Bank site near you.

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections' M.U.S.C.L.E. Guide lists many available resources and local agencies by county.

Cuyahoga County has its own reentry resource guide, Going Home to Stay.

Citizen Circle can be a way to make connections with community members and build a support system.

How can I find help getting a job?

There are many employment-related services available for ex-offenders through public and private organizations.

  • The M.U.S.C.L.E. Guide lists employment-related services for ex-offenders.

  • There are 90 local One-Stop offices in Ohio that can help with workforce development issues.

Education is one way to overcome employment barriers.  The Ohio Ex-Offender Reentry Coalition has created a list of educational resources for ex-offenders.

Starting a small business is another way to overcome employment barriers.  Ohio has many Small Business Development Centers that can assist entrepreneurs in a variety of ways.

How do I get my state ID card, Social Security card, and birth certificate?

To get a state ID card, take your inmate ID card (or birth certificate and Social Security card) to a BMV office and trade it for a state ID card.  The cost for a state ID card is $8.50.

To get a duplicate Social Security card, go to the Social Security in your area and order a free duplicate card.  It will take two weeks for your card to be mailed to you, so ask for a Social Security number print out to use in the meantime.

To get a copy of your birth certificate, fill out this form and mail it to Department of Vital Statistics.

If I have a criminal record, can I vote in Ohio?

Yes.  There are only two circumstances where you can lose your right to vote in Ohio because of a criminal record:

1)  If you are currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.  You become eligible to vote on the day you are released from prison.

2) If you have been convicted twice of felony violations of Ohio's election laws.  In this case, you will be permanently barred from voting in Ohio.

The information in this site is not intended as legal advice.
Back to Top of Page | Didn't find it? Use Advanced Search | Back to Step 1

Click here to find legal help near you.

To find a civil legal aid provider, call

1.866.LAW.OHIO (1.866.529.6446)

For the hearing impaired:
Use this site to find the local
Ohio legal aid provider in your
area. Then, call the Ohio Relay
Service at 1-800-750-0750 and
ask the service operator to
connect you to the provider
you are trying to call.

The information in this site is
not intended as legal advice.


Personal tools