Public Benefits : Disability Help

How does the government define a disability?

By law, Social Security has a very strict definition.

To be found disabled:

  • You must be unable to do substantial work because of your medical condition(s), and,

  • Your medical condition(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least one year or be expected to result in death.

While some programs give money to people with partial disability or short-term disability, Social Security does not. The Social Security Administration has a great deal of information on this topic.

Can I get help if I have a disability?

There are a variety of resources and services available for people with disabilities, including:

  • Supplemental Security Income - The SSI program makes payments to people with low income who are age 65 or older or are blind or have a disability.

Can my child receive benefits?

If your child qualifies, he or she may be able to receive SSI benefits. You should review the Benefits for Children with Disabilities section of the Social Security Administration website.

I am a military veteran, so can I receive benefits?

Military service members can receive expedited processing of disability claims from Social Security. You should review the Disability Benefits for Wounded Warriors information on the Social Security Administration website.

What disability services are available to Ohioans?

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services offers a wide range of services to people with disabilities who meet the Equal Employment Opportunity Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other federal hiring requirements.

For more information on this topic, see the Introduction to Public Benefits section.


How will the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act affect my Social Security and Supplemental Security Income?

Find out more about how your Social Security and Supplemental Security Income is affected from the Recovery website.

See also the Forms & Education tab in this section for more information.

The information in this site is not intended as legal advice.
Back to Top of Page | Didn't find it? Use Advanced Search | Back to Step 1

Click here to find legal help near you.

To find a civil legal aid provider, call

1.866.LAW.OHIO (1.866.529.6446)

For the hearing impaired:
Use this site to find the local
Ohio legal aid provider in your
area. Then, call the Ohio Relay
Service at 1-800-750-0750 and
ask the service operator to
connect you to the provider
you are trying to call.

The information in this site is
not intended as legal advice.


Personal tools