Cash : Prevention, Retention and Contingency

What is PRC?

Prevention Retention and Contingency assistance ("PRC", also sometimes called "emergency cash assistance") is cash assistance given to Ohio families in times of crisis.

PRC is available only when there is a one time crisis which, if left unattended, would result in a family having to go on long term cash assistance, lose their job or result in a crisis.

Each county in Ohio determines what emergencies they will help with, but many include utility shut offs, car repairs or needed work equipment. 

How to I apply for PRC?

Applications for PRC are made at the County Department of Job and Family Services. Find your local office..

Services are available for low income and needy families. Families will include a home with a minor child, a non-custodial parent and pregnant women. Families that are currently receiving other assistance (like Food Stamps or Cash Assistance) are still eligible for PRC.

If you have a minor child who lives with you (or a pregnant woman) and you are in need of ongoing cash assistance, you may also want to read about the cash assistance program.

What if I am denied PRC?

If you believe you are eligible for PRC but you are denied, you have several options to try and resolve the problem.

One is to ask for a county conference, which is an informal meeting with your caseworker, their supervisor and you. You can bring someone along with you to help explain your case or even just for moral support. At the county conference, you get to say why you think the action your caseworker took was wrong. The caseworker explains why they took that action. You try and work out a fair agreement.

A second option is to ask for a state hearing, which is a more formal process. The caseworker and their supervisor will be there and you can still bring someone to help you, but this time there will also be a hearing officer. The hearing officer will ask questions of everyone there. You can bring a witness to this hearing if you think it is important for your case. After the hearing, the hearing officer will mail a decision.

Often times it is best to ask for both a state hearing and a county conference. The county conference will happen before the hearing. If you are able to come up with an agreement at the county conference, you can cancel the state hearing. If you can’t resolve it at the county conference, you can go forward with the state hearing (you haven’t given up any rights). Whichever option you choose, be prepared to tell your side of the story and why you think their decision was wrong.

What does PRC cover?

Each county determines what their PRC plan will cover, but they are all designed to help with immediate barriers to a families’ well being. If an unexpected event occurs that will jeopardize your employment or ability to stay off of cash assistance you should apply for PRC. Many plans cover clothing, work expenses, domestic violence services and transportation expenses.

Where can I find more information?

If you want to see what services your county offers. Find county information. If you aren’t sure if you qualify, you should go ahead and apply, many plans are flexible to fit the needs of Ohio’s families.

See also the Forms & Education tab in this section for more information.

The information in this site is not intended as legal advice.
Back to Top of Page | Didn't find it? Use Advanced Search | Back to Step 1

Click here to find legal help near you.

To find a civil legal aid provider, call

1.866.LAW.OHIO (1.866.529.6446)

For the hearing impaired:
Use this site to find the local
Ohio legal aid provider in your
area. Then, call the Ohio Relay
Service at 1-800-750-0750 and
ask the service operator to
connect you to the provider
you are trying to call.

The information in this site is
not intended as legal advice.


Personal tools