Housing : Lead Paint
What is lead paint poisoning?
Lead is a highly toxic metal that has been used for many years in products found in and around your homes.
You can get lead in your body by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.
In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard, however, removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to your family.
What are the health risks associated with lead paint poisoning?
Lead may cause a range of health effects, from behavioral problems and learning disabilities, to seizures and death.
Children 6 years old and under are most at risk, because their bodies are growing quickly and their small bodies may not be able to get rid of lead like an adult body can.
Lead poisoning is a serious disease that often has no symptoms. It can cause brain damage and learning disabilities.
What can I do to reduce my exposure to lead paint poisoning?
Lead exposure can be harmful to young children and babies even before they are born.
Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
Ohio House Bill 248 provides prevention and licensing guidelines for lead products.
You can also read more about lead paint issues by reading the What Home-Buyers Should Determine Asbestos and Lead Paint Risks article by the Ohio State Bar Association.
What should I do if I believe I have been exposed to lead poisoning?
Contact your doctor or call the Central Poison Control Center immediately at 800-682-7625 if you believe you or a family member has been exposed to lead poisoning.
You can contact your local legal aid program to discuss your situation.
See also the Forms & Education tab in this section for more information.The information in this site is not intended as legal advice.
|Back to Top of Page|||||Didn't find it? Use Advanced Search|||||Back to Step 1|