Health Care : Mental Health

What are my mental health services rights?

Individuals receiving public behavioral health services have rights and a grievance procedure provided to them by Ohio law and regulations (rules).

These rights protect and promote recovery.

Public behavioral health services are provided in a variety of settings, including:

You can obtain additional information about mental health rights and recovery resources for children and adults receiving or seeking mental health services in Ohio from the Ohio Legal Rights Services web site.

What is mental health parity?

In October of 2009, a new federal mental health parity law went into effect. The new law requires parity between benefits for mental health and substance use disorders and benefits for medical and surgical treatments under certain health plans. Read more about mental health parity now.

What if I don't want to take my medication in the hospital?

You have the right to get information about medication so you can decide if you want to take it.  Read more about your medication rights now.

What do I need to do to be released from a psychiatric hospital?

If you are not charged with a crime but have been taken to a psychiatric hospital against your wishes, the hospital must tell you why you are there and give this information to you in writing.

Read more about  When a Person Wants to Be Released from a Psychiatric Hospital.

What mental health services are available for people returning from military service?

Many service men and women are returning from Afghanistan and Iraq with mental health issues.  The OHIOCARES website includes mental health information for these veterans.

See also the Forms & Education tab in this section for more information.

The information in this site is not intended as legal advice.
Back to Top of Page | Didn't find it? Use Advanced Search | Back to Step 1

Click here to find legal help near you.

To find a civil legal aid provider, call

1.866.LAW.OHIO (1.866.529.6446)

For the hearing impaired:
Use this site to find the local
Ohio legal aid provider in your
area. Then, call the Ohio Relay
Service at 1-800-750-0750 and
ask the service operator to
connect you to the provider
you are trying to call.

The information in this site is
not intended as legal advice.


Personal tools